Sunday, August 10, 2014

Interview with Patric from MDFL!!

Alright Patric, give me a background about MDFL- what other bands did the members play/ how did you get into grind/ what do you feel about grind, like why do yo play it?

2. who's in the band. b) what were the main influences band wise or people wise c) what kind of equipment do you guys use? drums guitar bass?

3. what are you influences towards the band? what do you guys write about, what really gets you grinding, or gets you pissed and makes you really wanna tear shit apart?

4.where are you guys located- how's the scene over there- how d0 they accept grind? b) any bands you're looking forward to or would want to see/play live with?

5. what other side projects are your band members in or is this your primary and main focus band? b) what would be the perfect noise grind sound you personally would love to sound like?

6. where do most shows happen in your area? what has been the best memorable show in your area? b) how is seattle with grind or any other sub genre scene? what other scenes are there?

7. have you guys toured? would you want to, where would you want to go, when? b) I've thrown some sweet ass, you can almost call every show i've thrown fests, with all kinds of grind here in Los Angeles. would you guys be down to some day join the fun here in Los Angeles?

8. list your releases. how long have you guys been a band? do you have any future releases, splits, or future thoughts or plans to do releases?

 9. how do you guys record, or who records you? what quality are you guys digging, the grind lo fi style, or do you guys go full on pro studio? which do you prefer?

10. What are some of your bands goals or outlooks for the future?

11. Any links to your music? b) Any upcoming shows?

1. MDFL was the first project either of us had been involved in when we started when we were fifteen. We initially started out as a four-piece but eventually moved to the current two-piece lineup and never looked back. I wanted to play something that reflected what I had been listening to/writing and wanted to play something with a lot of energy. We had always gone to see death metal bands but wondered why everyone stood around brushing their hair. We continue to play it because we have been having a blast on tour and playing with our friends that come through Cleveland.

2. The current lineup is Jon on Drums and me (Patric) on guitar and vocals. This lineup is much more focused than any previous incarnation of the band. Jon and I have grown up with each other and we are besties. I use a Jackson RR5 guitar which I love and a Peavy XXL Head, Jon uses an old inherited Mapex kit. Other than my guitar we are very low budget.

3. My playing style is influenced strongly by death and thrash metal, I like doing tight chuggy partys. Jon’s playing style is influenced by the act of battery and likes breaking floor tom heads. I don’t write lyrics but dealing with real life and stupid people influences my desire to play grind. 

4. We are located outside of Cleveland Ohio. We mostly run the grind scene here, I book and operate the Taxidermy Palace on the east side of the city which is where 99% of grind in Cleveland happens and is occasionally tolerated. Some other awesome fast bands from our area are Grin and Bear It, Lord Farquaad and Leech Bed. We have played with so many awesome bands but I still have yet to play with Pancreatectomie from Columbus and Violent Gorge from Winnipeg (who we just released a split with).

5. I currently play guitar in Sulphuric Blood (beastial death metal), MHL (trapped out cybergrind), bass in Tartar Control (heady punkers), as well as DJ as PBAPES. Jon and I have also recorded other projects as Dehumanizer and SUCKGHEY SS. I think a perfect noisegrind sound is the one on Arsedestroyer’s Teenass Revolt. I would like to experiment with different recording styles.

6. Most shows (that we play) happen at my friends house The Taxidermy Palace and we’ve had some awesome memorable shows with Backslider and Hemdale that I won’t forget where the entire floor has been transformed into a wrestling match.

7. We have toured 4 times now, with our most recent being throughout Canada after Fastcore Fest which was so much fun. We love going through the Midwest because the routing is very easy and there are so may awesome bands. I think touring Asia would be fucking rad. We will forsure be in California next June, we are excited to see LA for the first time!

8. We put our first Demo out in 2011. Our releases: Demo Esoteric Assault MDFL/Water Torture/Foiled/Hideous Form MDFL/Violent Gorge Coming soon (available online): MDFL/Chainsaw Squid/Drug Mule/No Fucks Given 7” and MDFL/Grin and Bear It 7” ss Flexi Disc.

9. Our friend Marcus that lives at the Taxidermy Palace has recorded our last three splits and definitely knows what he’s doing. He is big into real production so we’ve gone his way and I’m very happy how the most recent tracks turned out, very scion-friendly. Our older material has very rough noisy production, I would like to try to do some 4-track recordings myself but haven’t taken the time to get a setup or anything. I dig all production styles.

10. We are going to be doing a comprehensive US tour Summer 2015 that I will start planning soon, I would really like to check out a lot of places in the US still and want to visit the awesome friends we made throughout our last tour! Other than that I would love to play out of the country again and get some material released!

11. https://www.facebook.com/MxDxFxLx https://mxdxfxlx.bandcamp.com/ We keep our Facebook updated with any tour dates. Hope to see you next summer!

1 comment: