Wednesday, October 1, 2014

A Chill Ass Interview with Jacob from the Canadian Grind band Detroit

1. Alright guys, give me a background about the band- what other bands did the members play/ how did you get into grind/ what do you feel about grind, like why do yo play it?

Only other bands I remember Isaac and Emmett playing in are Suicidal Cop and The Afflictions. They were along the lines of hardcore punk one could say, not quite grinding. I remember my first ever grind show was Bloody Phoenix like 3-4 years ago. Slowly after thought I caught onto to what it is and have been hooked since. It’s heinously fun and stupidly awesome all at the same time. Most other types of “music” can’t compare anymore now that I’ve come to enjoy the blasting noisy shit that is grind and pv and what not.

2. who's in the band.

Myself who is Jacob doing vocals. Emmett aka helmet smashing guitars every now and then. And Isaac aka Isuck aka Isaacsucks wrecking drum kits.

b) what were the main influences band wise or people wise

There is tons of grind out there that rules but there are bands that stick out, to name a few: Suffering Mind, Warsore, Sea of Shit, Deadpressure, Excruciating Terror, Vaccine, Insect Warfare, All the Squamish BC bands, Cave State, In Disgust and so many more that I could name!

c) what kind of equipment do you guys use? drums guitar bass?

I use whatever mic is handed to me at shows, Most recent gear I remember the other dudes having is Isaac’s shitty set at my house with a tightened as fuck high tom for a snare, other hand-me-down parts and what not including most of a kit from Aaron from THC. As for Emmett he has some sorta LTD I think and also a pink Squier Strat from The Starving Musician in San Jose.

3. what are you influences towards the band? what do you guys write about, what really gets you grinding, or gets you pissed and makes you really wanna tear shit apart?

I write lyrics that range from heinous experiences I’ve had or just fictional ones sometimes (that of violence, ignorance, partying, selling and or doing drugs). It’s pretty much humans that get me rattled and get the feeling with grind. There is so many of us out there pulling the most heinous lowlife shit and fucking each other in countless numbers of ways. Rather than be a huggin hippy wasting my time trying to brainwash everyone with love I’d rather be making awful noise having a blast with my friends doing hoodrat shit haha.

4.where are you guys located- how's the scene over there- how d0 they accept grind?

We’re located in Edmonton Alberta Canada. The grind scene here is slowly but surely on the uphill because of the larger amount of attendance and involvement that at least I’ve noticed over the past few years. We have a sweet outdoor spot with no rules and no heat from anyone so it’s the ultimate party spot for anyone even if they can’t get down with the noise so one could say it is fairly accepted from a decent amount of people haha.

b) any bands you're looking forward to or would want to see/play live with?

I’d love to play with Suffering Mind, Excruciating Terror, and heck maybe one day even Three 6 (Da Mafia Six) since MDFL managed to do it. There’s lot’s out there I’d be stoked to play with but those ones come to mind first.

5. what other side projects are your band members in or is this your primary and main focus band?

I play in a crust/doom band called BongLord. Isaac plays in Hyperemesis (gore), Paleface (hxc punx), Horrendous Miscreation (mince) and that’s all that I can remember right now maybe there’s more. All I can remember for Emmett is Snuff Garrett (blues rock)

b) what would be the perfect noise grind sound you personally would love to sound like?

Sete star sept all the way

6. where do most shows happen in your area? what has been the best memorable show in your area?

During the summer having shows at the grove is the go-to. It’s an outdoor spot in the river valley that gets no heat so it’s the most ideal spot. I had the best time ever when Archagathus and Hatred of Humanity played in Clint’s basement with a mattress running people over and pushing people into the ceiling riding on top of the mattress.

7. have you guys toured? would you want to, where would you want to go, when?

Only tour I’ve done was this past may/june hitting up the Midwest, east coast, and the west coast. Most fun I’ve ever had. I want to go back to all the same places but also hit up more south as well like Memphis and Atlanta and Texas and stuff. I’m down to go anywhere new. Heading south in the winter would be the best because they don’t freeze their asses off down there.

8. list your releases. how long have you guys been a band? do you have any future releases, splits, or future thoughts or plans to do releases?

Splits with Robocop, Skuff, thedowngoing, No Fucks Given and some others I can’t remember. Detroit has been a band for like 3-4 years I think. I only joined recently in the new year and I’m the 5th singer there has been for Detroit haha. Upcoming 7” split with Suffering Mind and talks of splits with Deadpressure, Corporal, and an etown vs. Chicago split.

9. how do you guys record, or who records you? what quality are you guys digging, the grind lo fi style, or do you guys go full on pro studio? which do you prefer?

Emmett recorded our most previous release in all live in my basement so it’s pretty raw. A guy named Matt sometimes mixes and or masters some Detroit recordings. I don’t mind a higher quality recording but definitely not over produced.

10. What are some of your bands goals or outlooks for the future?

Tour as much as possible, make more heinous songs, try not to get besmirched, stock up on butter, besmirch Isaac, shotgun beers, eat shit on a skateboard, cry into a bucket of ice cream, cuddle cats, smash stuff and most importantly staying as pure and virgin as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment